Saturday 3 October 2009

Our House in the middle of our street












Okay, finally, a few pictures of our new place. I had put if off thinking eventually it would be tidier, but today decided that would not happen. I took some very incriminating photos of the girl's bedrooms but am hoping by the end of day I can take before and afters. We are settling in and are very grateful to have such a nifty place to live - complete with vintage 1950's flying saucer lamp shade.
Question? How can I keep the area rugs from walking on the carpet? Would those rubber mat things work when it is carpet on carpet?
School is going well. I am really enjoying meeting new people - have made good friends and am making great progress on concepts and drawings for my project. I am tired and need to recovery days in between.
School is going well for the girls. MaCall seems to be enjoying Redlands University Symphony though not so sure about AP History. Eloise continues to be tormented by Zac - the know it all show off in her class - who just got 999 extra points for putting his report on a shower curtain.
Franz is always working in one way or another -but did go to a zombie movie last night.
Now we are off to Pasadena where the closest Dick Blick Art Supply is and the Hunters.
Happy Autumn!



6 comments:

Kim Baker said...

quote: "Question? How can I keep the area rugs from walking on the carpet? Would those rubber mat things work when it is carpet on carpet?"

My advice may be totally impractical and is coming from the mind of someone who has never lived with carpets. However, if nothing else works, you could get some of those plastic mats with the prongs on the bottom (for use with office chairs on carpet). Then place the plastic mats to prevent slidage on top... and finally your area rug.

There may be a less zany (and cheaper) way to solve your issue, but this one is coming to my mind most immediately.

Rebekah's Mom said...

Stores (I think Target has them) sell rug liner sort of things.... can't recall exactly what they are called... but they work for hardwood or carpet. Your place looks great and nice and big. Maybe we'll have to come see it in person sometime?

Christie said...

I love that your bedroom is a loft. That is so cool. I can't wait to see your house in person.

amanda jane said...

looks so perfect! I want to say cozy, but it's so spacious compared to the cottage. but it does looks comfortable - love that window throwing light in at eloise, with the colored bottles.

and those carpte mats will work - way cheap at Ikea!

Serena Potter said...

Thanks for the advice. I'll look for the mats, but Kim's idea sounds a bit more zany! No Amanda -not nearly as cozy, but it is fun tring something new. I rather like the juxtaposition of our vintage yard sale with the uber modern.

StormRunner said...

Your house is so full of light, and looks airy but cozy at the same time. Fun! We had a big change when we moved too - we have no basement now, but really high ceilings, and bedrooms all on the second floor (instead of the ranch which I hated). The spaciousness lets me feel like I can breathe. And the kids have a play area so the toys are contained and not in the living room.

About the rugs - those rubber mats are sometimes tricky, but I've only used them on hardwoods. In my experience, buying the cheap ones is a waste of money. We actually put a rug in storage for many years, instead of dealing with it on carpet because it was so annoying. And now, it's like a new rug when we unrolled it - I love it! I hope the kids are settling in - I bet they like the new house a lot.